Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Church in Micronesia includes three churches in Guam – St. John the Divine in Upper Tumon, St. Andrew By the Philippine Sea in Hågat, and St. Michael and All Angels in Dededo.
The Episcopal Church in Micronesia includes three churches in Guam – St. John the Divine in Upper Tumon, St. Andrew By the Philippine Sea in Hågat, and St. Michael and All Angels in Dededo.
To Bishop Apollinaris W. Baumgartner (1899 – 1970) belongs the honor and distinction of taking a church nearly decimated by World War II and rebuilding it out of the ashes of war into a strong and vibrant Diocese. In 1945, when Bishop Baumgartner was appointed Vicar Apostolic of Guam, most of Guam’s churches were damaged beyond repair.
Bishop Apollinaris William Baumgartner Read Post »
The Guam Women’s Club was the first women’s organization on Guam. It was founded in February of 1952 and formally incorporated as a non-profit organization on 10 March 1953. The original incorporator members included Patricia M. Ehrhart, Betty Pilgrim, Bethia C. Sessions, Phyllis H. Tyng, Melba Shriver, Isabel T. Guzman and Agueda I. Johnston.
The Guam Nurses Association (GNA) was incorporated in 1951 and has been a constituent member of the American Nurses Association since 1968.
Guam Nurses Association Read Post »
Father Marcian Pellet (1909 – 1996), OFM Cap. was a Capuchin missionary, artist, sculptor, and amateur archaeologist. He spent 57 years dedicated to the Catholic Church in the Mariana Islands, almost four of those years in a civilian Prisoner of War camp in Japan during World War II. His artistic works grace several locations in Guam.
Pioneers of entertainment. Frank and Marjorie met at the Texas Centennial in 1936 where he was a famous high diver and she a shy, but gutsy, aerialist. They would watch each other’s act, and finally met when Marjorie’s hair turned green after she and some of the show girls took a dip in Frank’s small diving tank below his 100-foot diving tower.
For almost 300 years, the Spanish overseas Catholic missions took firm root in the Marianas. Spanish clergy and superiors — Jesuit, Augustinian Recollect or Capuchin — governed the Catholic Church in the Marianas. However, on 26 October 1945, that era came to a close with the departure of Miguel Angel Olano Urteaga, OFM Cap., the last Spanish bishop of Guam.
Bishop Miguel Angel Urteaga Olano Read Post »
Throughout the 19th century, northern Guam had always had about five times more residents than did southern Guam, largely due to the population concentrated in Hagåtña, and in the 20th century, the north continued to support many more people than the south.
Resettlement Patterns Under American Rule Read Post »
People first started riding the waves on Guam in the early 1960s. Guam surfers from that era remember high school industrial arts teacher John Bylander, Australian Cable Company employee Jim Keenan, and Rick Value, son of a local businessman, as among those on the vanguard of serious surfing across the dangerously shallow reefs of Guam’s surf spots.
Surfing: Early History on Guam Read Post »
Running on Guam has evolved over the years from a handful of hardcore, dedicated runners who would meet several times a year for races, to the large crowds of today that show up for races just about every weekend of the year.
Running: History of the Sport on Guam Read Post »